Ellis & Burnand bought the Taumarunui Totara Co mill and started to replace it with a much larger one at Ongarue in 1913. Ongarue mill closed in 1914 and reopened in 1920 with 10 mi (16 km) of tramway. By 1953 the tramway extended 25 mi (40 km) from the mill and had two locomotives. During the period of maximum output, the annual production was 16m feet of native timber.
This book covers the entire span of the years of bush workings, tramline and mill operations from 1903 until the mill closed in 1966.
Author: Ken Anderson